0

Caregiver and his employer charged with Medicaid fraud

first_imgA joint investigation by the Vermont Attorney General’s Office and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General, has resulted in a caregiver and his employer being charged with billing Vermont Medicaid for services that were never provided. Attorney General William H. Sorrell announced today that Donald Crawford, age 48, of Bellows Falls, Vermont, and Jessica Kingsbury, 33, were each arraigned on September 28, 2010, in Vermont Superior Court, Criminal Division, Windsor County, on one felony count of Medicaid Fraud.According to papers filed in court, Mr. Crawford is accused of invoicing ARIS Solutions, the agency that processes timesheets for Vermont Medicaid waiver services, for services that were not provided, resulting in payment to him in an amount of $14,769.04 from the Vermont Medicaid Program. Ms. Kingsbury is accused of aiding and abetting Mr. Crawford in the filing of the fraudulent invoicing. Both parties each face a potential fine of up to $1,000.00 or an amount equal to twice the amount of payments obtained, or up to ten years in prison, or both. The court imposed standard conditions of release that govern the parties’ conduct while their cases are pending.Source: Attorney General, September 29, 2010last_img read more

0

Forecasters: Hurricane Joaquin to Track Away from Long Island

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Friday brought good news for Long Islanders as meteorologists were provided a clearer understanding of Hurricane Joaquin’s path—which, for the time being, does not include Long Island.“The forecast models continue to indicate a track offshore of the United States east coast from the Carolinas to the mid-Atlantic states, and the threat of direct impacts from Joaquin in those areas is decreasing,” the National Hurricane Center said.Locally, the Upton-based National Weather Service said on its Facebook page that the latest update “is still showing Hurricane Joaquin to be passing far offshore.” 8AM update is still showing Hurricane Joaquin to be passing far offshore.Posted by US National Weather Service New York NY on Friday, October 2, 2015 Extremely dangerous Hurricane Joaquin is moving slowly northwestward as it batters the Central Bahamas for a third day….Posted by NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center on Friday, October 2, 2015 Forecasters in recent days had been hesitant to predict Joaquin’s path due to a number of atmospheric conditions, prompting officials in Nassau and Suffolk counties to urge residents to prepare for the worst. Both Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said it’d be prudent to err on the side of caution.Local municipalities also instructed residents to be proactive by stocking up on non-perishable goods, batteries, gas for generators and vehicles, and other necessary supplies.“Looks like our prayers have been answered and this hurricane will be moving offshore,” Bellone said Friday of his “prepare and pray” plan during a news conference at Robert Moses State Park.He cautioned that although LI isn’t expected to get a direct hit, coastal flooding, beach erosion and strong winds are still expected this weekend.Although Fire Island ferry companies are suspending service Sunday, Bellone said he has not ordered an evacuation of the barrier island.Gov. Andrew Cuomo in a conference call with a reporters Friday afternoon welcomed the good news but said the state would continue to take a wait-and-see approach.“We’re not getting complacent here because weather reports change,” Cuomo said. “I’ve been through too many of these situations where we had good news one minute and bad news the next. We are not accelerating our deployment, but we are not relaxed yet, either, especially in the larger facilities and especially downstate.” -With Chuck Canninicenter_img But that doesn’t mean the region won’t be impacted by Joaquin, which is currently battering the Bahamas for a third consecutive day as a category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 130 mph.“Even if Joaquin remains offshore, strong onshore winds associated with a frontal system will create minor to moderate coastal flooding along the coasts of the mid-Atlantic and northeastern states through the weekend,” the National Hurricane Center said. The Island is currently under a coastal flood advisory until 3 p.m. Friday and a high surf advisory until 6 p.m. Sunday, according to the weather service.The forecast for Friday calls for up to a half an inch of rain and breezy conditions. Temperatures will remain in the mid-50s, forecasters said.More wet weather is expected through the weekend, meteorologists said.last_img read more

0

African Nations Cup to kick off amid same old complaints

first_imgBy Mark Gleeson(REUTERS) – The African Nations Cup begins next week against a backdrop of civil strife in host nation Gabon and ever more strident complaints from European clubs about the tournament taking away key players midway their season.On the footballing front, the Ivory Coast seek to defend their title, Egypt bid to revive former glories and tiny Guinea Bissau aim to continue their fairytale run.The trio are among 16 countries at the biennial tournament played at four venues across the oil-rich central African country, which only months ago was beset by civil strife after a disputed election kept President Ali Bongo in power amid allegations of widespread fraud.The possibility of more protests around the tournament, which will bring an international spotlight the country rarely enjoys, means the likelihood of stifling security as a backdrop to what is supposed to be a celebration of African soccer.Excitement over the event has also been tempered by ongoing controversy over its timing as the Confederation of African Football doggedly refuses to change the scheduling, much to the frustration of the main European leagues who lose players for a month in the middle of their seasons.FIFA rules allow countries to call up players, causing a club versus country conflict every two years which this time has led to more players than ever opting to stay with their clubs.Cameroon, usually among the favourites, will take a weakened side to the tournament after eight players told coach Hugo Broos they wanted to stay with their clubs rather than risk losing their places by going to Gabon.But holders Ivory Coast have been able to add to their talent pool with Crystal Palace’s Wilfried Zaha eschewing overtures to stay loyal to England and embarking on a new course with his international career.IVORIAN STALWARTSHe will make his debut next week to become the first England international in more than half a century to play for another country, strengthening an Ivorian side without stalwarts Yaya Toure (retired) and Gervinho (injured).They are among the favourites along with Algeria – spearheaded by newly-crowned African player-of-the-year Riyad Mahrez – Ghana, Senegal and Egypt, who have won a record seven Nations Cup titles but not played in the last three tournaments.Their last appearance was in 2010 when they won a third successive title before the fall-out from the Arab Spring protests impacted heavily on the country’s football.Reaffirming Egypt’s place among the continental heavyweights is the goal of their Argentine coach Hector Cuper. “I know well that the fans adore trophies so we got to try and bring one back,” he said.Gabon will open the tournament on January 14 at Libreville’s Stade l’Amitie against Guinea Bissau, who defied all conventional wisdom to reach the finals for the first time.One of the world’s poorest countries, the team from the former Portuguese colony have not played a match since September but are eager to continue their heroics after dumping out former champions Congo and Zambia in the qualifiers.“We are up against vultures who have great experience of the Nations Cup,” said Guinea Bissau coach Baciro Cande.“But we will give the best of ourselves and our goal is to get to the quarter-finals.”last_img read more

0

Who is the new ‘Bachelor?’ Meet Matt James, former Wake Forest wide receiver

first_imgIf you are doing interviews and creating Cameo accounts before you are even on my season… you are in it for the wrong reasons… #dontwasteyourtime— Clare Crawley (@Clare_Crawley) April 25, 2020Respect the opportunity you’ve been given. Respect the rules. Respect me. @BacheloretteABC ❤️— Clare Crawley (@Clare_Crawley) April 25, 2020Per E! News, it prompted James to indirectly reply to Crawley on a Instagram story, saying that he’s using the Cameo app with the intention of a different charity — raising money for coronavirus relief via the Robin Hood Foundation. If James wasn’t a serious suitor, he likely wouldn’t have agreed to also star in “The Bachelor.”Matt James is the second former NFL player to lead to show in three seasonsColton Underwood, who played tight end at Illinois State before some camp opportunities with the Chargers, Eagles and Raiders, was “The Bachelor” lead in Season 24 after coming up short in “The Bachelorette” Season 14. Underwood ended up with Cassie Randolph last March, but they just announced their breakup in late May. The ratings for “The Bachelor” have been on the decline for a while, but James, with his ties to Cameron, is bound to be a great lead with whom to create a viewership bounce-back, especially after fans of the two shows might be denied a “Bachelorette” conclusion in 2020. View this post on Instagram Taco Tuesdayyy 🌮🌮 . Visit @abcfoodtours to message us any community centers, schools, hospitals, or shelters that we can direct supplies for students as well as those on the front line across the country 🙌🏽 . Feed | Educate | GivebackA post shared by Matt James (@mattjames919) on Mar 31, 2020 at 4:05pm PDTMatt James didn’t win over Clare CrawleyGiven that James is on “The Bachelor,” it’s a guarantee that he won’t be the winner of Crawley’s unfinished “Bachelorette” season. There already is evidence that he wasn’t a match for the 38-year-old.Crawley indirectly called out James on Twitter for being on the show only to make himself famous vs. being a legitimate suitor for her.”If you are doing interviews and creating Cameo accounts before you are even on my season… you are in it for the wrong reasons… #dontwasteyourtime,” she wrote. Wake ’N Shake (@wfuwakenshake) has become the largest philanthropy event on @wfuniversity campus . Brian Piccolo not only left a lasting mark on Wake Forest, the football team, and the NFL, but his legacy lives on through the amazing work the fund is now doing in his honor . I dance to find a cure for cancer, why do you dance? . https://www.wakenshake.com/dancers/767 . 🎬: @brownbearvisualsA post shared by Matt James (@mattjames919) on Mar 3, 2020 at 3:30pm PSTMatt James lives with and runs a charity with Tyler CameronJames, by trade, is a commercial real estate associate with CBRE based in New York. He became a budding “Bachelorette” contestant because of his close association and friendship with Cameron, also his roommate in the city. Together, James and Cameron also co-founded the non-profit ABC Food Tours in May 2018. According to James’ LinkedIn page, this is the charity’s mission:”ABC Food Tours is a food touring company that leads students on both food/fitness tours through NYC stopping at restaurants native to the area to taste their signature dishes and learn about their history. We partner with schools to provide tours for students that are directly affected by homelessness at no cost to them.” “The Bachelor” finally has its first-ever black lead for Season 25. Matt James, one of the suitors of Clare Crawley during the current, incomplete 16th season of “The Bachelorette,” will be the latest man looking for long-term love on ABC’s popular long-running reality series.James will have his episodes air in 2021, assuming the coronavirus pandemic won’t shut down production, like it did for Crawley’s season. The producers saw enough of James to like him to star in the next edition of the show and also felt it was the right time to respond to call for more diversity in casting “The Bachelor.” In a campaign fueled by Rachel Lindsay, who was the first black woman to become a “Bachelorette” for Season 13 in 2017, and further backed by an ardent fans’ petition, ABC listened and followed through by promoting James.”We know we have a responsibility to make sure the love stories we’re seeing onscreen are representative of the world we live in, and we are proudly in service to our audience,” the network said in a statement. “This is just the beginning, and we will continue to take action with regard to diversity issues on this franchise. We feel so privileged to have Matt as our first Black Bachelor and we cannot wait to embark on this journey with him.”While James, 28, waits his turn to hand out roses, here are the facts you need to know about him:Matt James played college football at Wake Forest James, a native of North Carolina, was a talented wide receiver for the Demon Deacons. After not playing much his first three seasons, he caught 40 passes for 401 yards as a senior in 2014. One of his teammates and good friends was backup quarterback Tyler Cameron, who was the runner-up on Season 15 of “The Bachelorette” starring Hannah Brown.James also had a brief stay in the NFL. He was invited to the Carolina Panthers’ rookie minicamp in 2015, but he failed the make the roster of a team that was headed to win the NFC and play in Super Bowl 50. He also spent some time with another NFC South team, the New Orleans Saints, after the Panthers cut.There was a strong fallback for James, as he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in economics from one of the nation’s most revered academic universities. View this post on Instagramlast_img read more